Macarons aren’t solely a bakery specialty. You can make them at home on your own and they only require a few ingredients.
- American pistachios
- Granulated sugar
- Egg whites
- Powdered sugar
- Butter filing
- Grind pistachios in a food processor and form into a meal. Sieve so that only the fine powder is captured. Add the larger pieces back into the food processor and grind again. Be sure to sieve once more so that the finest powder is used and not the large hunks. If more pistachio meal is needed, repeat the steps above.
- Mix powdered sugar and pistachio meal together in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg whites in a separate bowl until frothy. Slowly add granulated sugar to the eggs. The sugar will help thicken the mixture and will also give it a creamy appearance. Continue mixing until it becomes stiff on the whisk.
- Gradually add in the pistachio mixture to the egg, sugar bowl. Stir thoroughly before adding to a piping bag and squeezing small amounts onto a baking sheet.
- Remove air bubbles from the dough and then allow it to rest until it is no longer tacky. Bake for 20 minutes at 290 degrees.
- Allow the cookie halves to cool before filling with a butter cream and sandwiching two pieces together.
These insanely delicious cookies will melt in your mouth! They have the perfect balance of crunchy and smooth, and they taste even better than they look!