Crusty bread, meet cheese and pesto. Together these three ingredients along with a bit of butter, garlic and tomato make for an awesome pull-apart bread that is tasty, but most importantly, cheesy.
The bread is ready in fewer than 30 minutes and is perfect for serving to guests. Try making the pesto from scratch or if you’re low on time, buy your favorite sauce from your local grocery store. The ease of this recipe will make you anxious to make it again and again.
- 1 loaf crusty bread such as French, Italian, Sourdough or Ciabatta
- 1 cup pesto
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 oz mozzarella, shredded
- 1 small tomato, diced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine garlic and butter in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave for 30-second increments until butter is completely melted. Set aside.
- Place the bread onto a sheet pan with enough aluminum foil to cover the loaf of bread halfway.
- Cut the bread into 1-inch diamonds. Ensure that you do not cut all the way through the bread to the bottom. It should still be attached at the bottom.
- Use a knife or a spoon to add a little bit of pesto into each slit.
- Open up each slit and add mozzarella cheese. Ensure that all of the slits are full and use all of the cheese.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the top of the loaf with the garlic butter.
- Use another piece of aluminum to cover the top area of the bread. Close up tightly and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the top layer of foil and continue baking the bread until it is golden and crispy on the top. This will take about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with diced tomatoes and serve immediately.