Want a tasty indulgent snack but don’t want the hassle of going out to eat? We have the recipe for you. Rather than load up your car and heading out, we’re going to load up some homemade french fries and dig in. Grab the following ingredients and meet us in the kitchen.
For the fries:
- 6 yukon gold potatoes
- Oil for frying
For the cheese sauce:
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
For the toppings:
- 1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Start by slicing up your potatoes with their skin still on, into 3″x 1/4″ slices. Soak them in cold water, and then ring out the excess water by wrapping them in a paper towel.
- Heat your oil to 375 degrees and fry your potatoes in batches for about 4 minutes at a time and then lay them out onto towels or brown paper bags to dry for a few minutes before frying again, for 5 minutes, until they are nice and brown. Transfer to a new sheet of brown paper or a rack to cool.
- While these are cooking up, toss your cheese and cornstarch together and then, over medium heat, combine cheese and 1 cup of evaporated milk. Continuing stirring until the sauce combines and the cheese melts.
- If you want the extra heat, add a bit of hot sauce and thin it out as needed with more milk. Spread your fries to a plate and top with cheese sauce, bacon, cilantro, and green onions.
Who needs to go out when you can make snacks like that at home?