If you’re a fan of almonds, we’ve got just the recipe for you! These Italian Almond Cookies are perfectly sweet and crunchy. You’ll have trouble stopping yourself from eating them!
For the cookie dough:
- 3 cups blanched almond powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp smooth apricot jam
- A few drops pure almond extract
For finishing the cookies:
- 1 large egg while
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups sliced almonds, blanched or unblanched
- First, mix together the almond powder and sugar in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they begin to mound and form soft peaks. They should be the consistency of softly whipped cream.
- Next, fold the beaten whites into the almond mixture, then fold in the apricot jam and a drop or two of almond extract. Mix the dough until it comes together in a smooth ball. You may need to knead it together with your hands.
- Preheat the oven to 325º F (160º C.) Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Then, pinch off pieces of dough that are about 1 1/4-inch in diameter and roll each into a ball, then roll them in your hands to make them into ovals, setting them on a dinner plate as you go.
- In a small bowl, stir the egg white with a fork briskly for about ten seconds to break it up. Put the sliced almonds on a plate. Working with 3 or 4 at a time, roll each piece of rolled cookie dough in the egg white and place it in the dish with the sliced almonds.
- Next, roll and press the ovals of dough into the almonds and coat them. After coating each batch of cookies with the almonds, put them on a baking sheet, evenly spaced apart.
- Finally, bake the cookies for 25 to 30 minutes, rotating the baking sheets in the oven, (turning them around so the cookies bake evenly). The cookies and nuts should be light golden brown when they’re done.
- Let the cookies cool before serving, and then dig in!