Here’s a fun twist on homemade sangria that incorporates grilled fruit into the recipe. If the grill is already hot, why not throw on a few pieces of fruit to make this barbecue-inspired drink?
This sangria is the perfect refreshment during a cookout and just what you need when relaxing at the beach or spending an afternoon in your backyard. Enjoy on ice during the warm summer months or hold the ice and sip this sangria during the fall, too.
- Canola oil, for brushing
- 2 firm-ripe peaches, pitted and halved
- 2 firm-ripe plums, pitted and halved
- 2 limes, sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 blood orange, sliced ½-inch thick
- 3 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1-750ml bottle white wine
- 2 cups white cranberry juice
- 3 oz orange liqueur
- 3-4 mint sprigs
- 1 rosemary sprig
- Heat a grill and oil the grate. Cook the peaches, plums and citrus slices, cut side down, over moderately high heat until lightly charred, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer the fruit to a work surface. When the peaches and plums are cool enough to handle, cut into wedges.
- In a large pitcher, muddle watermelon until it is a coarse purée.
- Add the white wine, cranberry juice and orange liqueur. Gently stir in the grilled fruit, mint and rosemary. Serve immediately over ice.