On week night when the schedules are all busy, the best thing to do is turn on the crock pot and not have to worry about dinner until it is time to eat. This creamy crock pot butter chicken recipe allows you to do just that.
- 1 ½ lbs / 680 gr skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 (6 oz / 170 gr) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 oz / 400 gr) can full fat coconut milk (I used BPA-free Natural Value)
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Combine the coconut milk, Greek yogurt, and heavy cream in a large bowl. Stir in the tomato paste, garlic, ginger, and all of the spices. Prepare the inside of the crock pot by lightly greasing the inside.
- Add the chopped up onion to the bottom of the crock pot, then add the chicken pieces, and finally toss the coconut milk mixture on top of it all. Add the butter in in dollops, then cover with a lid. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Once ready, add chopped onion at the bottom, then chicken pieces, and then pour coconut milk mixture over it. Add butter in dollops, cover with a lid, and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours. Once it is ready, stir and season to preference, then serve and enjoy!