Muffins always sound healthy, but the truth is that they are usually just an excuse to eat cake with a healthy name. No longer. This recipe from Thegirlonbloor blog is a delicious rich chocolate muffin, but even better is that you can feel good about eating it because it’s chock full of healthy ingredients: avocado, spelt flour, pumpkin seeds, hemp hearts, and zucchini. Yes, zucchini. Don’t worry, it all adds up to a tender, tasty muffin that will make your morning.
- ¾ cup white flour
- ¾ cup spelt flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 zucchini, grated
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 avocado, mashed
- ½ cup brown sugar or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup almond milk or Greek yogurt
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup hemp hearts
- ½ dark chocolate bar (about ⅛ cup melted)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Whisk the white and spelt flour together with the cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, egg, avocado, brown sugar, vanilla, and almond milk. When it’s blended, stir in the pumpkin seeds and hemp hearts. Melt the chocolate in the microwave for just 10 to 15 seconds and mix it into the wet ingredients.
- Gradually fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir in the grated zucchini.
- Spoon the batter into paper muffin cups and bake for 22 to 25 minutes. They are done when the tops crack and a toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- Cool on a wire rack and store, covered, in the refrigerator.