We love us a little sweet and savory. It’s even better when it’s a natural sweet, like this recipe using butternut squash from The Blond Cook blog. It combines the mild spice of Italian sausage with herbs and spices and the natural sweetness of the squash, all topped with some Parmesan Cheese! Adjust the seasoning on this to suit your tastes, and get creative with veggies you have at home. It’s not rocket science, it’s dinner!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (19 oz) package Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- ½ Tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- ½ teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 1 (2 lb) butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 3 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Take a sharp knife and cut off the peel. If it helps, you can cut it into chunks and stand them on end to cut the peel off, slicing down. When it is all peeled, but it into 1” chunks.
- In a large frying pan (one that has a lid), brown the sausage in olive oil over medium-high heat. Add everything else but the cheese: squash, sage, rosemary, salt, pepper, onion, bell pepper, garlic, nutmeg, and stock.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the squash is tender when you stick a fork in it. Serve topped with freshly shredded Parmesan Cheese.