There is a tostada craze going through our neighborhood with not one, but two restaurants with “Tostada” in their names. Even so, we have not seen a breakfast tostada on a menu anywhere. Thegirlonbloor blog gives us a recipe to make our own trendy tostadas for a super-tasty brunch that’s oh-so on trend. Did we mention the cheesy, creamy refried beans as part of the package? They are off the hook. These tostadas can be whipped up in your home kitchen while you’re still in your pajamas. That’s a trend we can get with.
- 4 corn tortillas (or tostada shells)
- 4 eggs
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 12 potato pancakes or 4 hash browns
- 8 slices bacon |
- 1 tomato, deseeded and diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
For the refried beans:
- 1 can black beans
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the beans: drain the beans and pour them into a medium pot. Turn the burner to medium-high, and mash the beans in the pan. Mix in the sour cream, olive oil, chili powder, garlic powder, cheddar, salt, and pepper. Turn the heat to low and let it stay warm on a back burner, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the bacon until crispy in a large frying pan over medium heat. Drain on paper towels.
- In another large frying pan, cook the hash browns. Toast the tortillas in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- Put the poblano pepper in one of the pans and fry it up. In the other pan, fry the eggs sunny side up in olive oil.
- Put it together! Spread refried black beans on the tortillas. Layer some hash browns on the beans. Next lay 2 slices of bacon on. Sprinkle poblanos, tomato, cilantro, and green onion over the bacon. Slide an egg on each one, and arrange sliced avocado and jalapeño on the very top.
- Put salsa, sour cream, and hot sauce on the table for extra flavor!