Give grandma’s secret banana bread recipe a break and switch over to cake for a change. You’ll still get that great banana flavor that you’ve come to love, but this recipe is lighter, fluffier and covered with a cream cheese frosting. It’s a great twist on a classic dessert and it happens to be the perfect sweet treat during brunch.
For the banana cake:
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk, at room temperature
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, plus an extra ¼ cup if needed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- The cake: Mash the bananas and then set aside. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together in a separate bowl. Set aside. Use a mixer to beat the butter until it is creamy. Add the sugars to the bowl and turn to high speed for 2 minutes until well mixed. Mix in the eggs and vanilla and beat on medium until thoroughly combined. Add the mashed bananas and continue to mix. Finish by alternating between adding the dry ingredients and adding the buttermilk. This should be done in three steps (add a small amount of dry ingredients followed by a small amount of buttermilk. Repeat three times).
- Dump the batter in a greased baking pan and cook for 45-50 minutes. When finished, allow the cake to cool for at least 45 minutes before spreading the frosting.
- The frosting: Beat the cream cheese and butter on high until creamy. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and salt. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds before increasing the speed to the high setting for 2 minutes. For thicker frosting, add the additional powdered sugar.
- Once the cake is fully cooled, spread the frosting on top. Let it sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.